You will be an experienced HR professional with a naturally engaging style, an innovative outlook, and a well-developed leadership capability. You will listen and engage, using staff data and feedback to continuously improve employee performance, satisfaction, engagement and advocacy. You will be an inspiring communicator, strong project manager and have the credibility and clout to bring stakeholders across the organisation with you.
Our colleagues are distributed across two countries and 6 locations (spanning Berlin, Birmingham, Manchester and London), so your experience of supporting geographically dispersed colleagues will be helpful, as will solid experience of working with an academic community or within the Higher Education sector. Some travel will be required.
One of our core brand values is ‘Supportiveness’ and we pride ourselves on the supportive culture of the University and how engaged and passionate our employees are. This is an exciting time to join a University that represents the future of Higher Education – please get in touch to receive a fuller job specification.
Leadership and management of HR function
• Provide strategic and operational leadership of the HR function for Arden University through collaboration and consultation with Senior Management Team colleagues and colleagues across the University.
• Oversee and continuously improve HR operations including induction, onboarding, annual development review process, absence, leavers, casework and employee relations
• Lead the HR team to improve, align, automate, and streamline current processes and procedures to maximize the contribution to the overall strategic and business goals
• Oversee and maintain all relevant policies and processes, ensuring they are fit for purpose, adhere to current regulatory requirements and legal parameters and deliver to business needs.
• Support the recruitment, motivation, retention and development of top talent through effective hiring, coaching, development and mentoring approaches across the University
• As a Senior Management Team member, support the Executive and Senior Management Teams in strategic planning and execution of people and organisational development and engagement
• Provide effective leadership and development for team members and managers both within team and across the University
• Effectively direct and develop the team to deliver the department’s annual plans and budgets
• Design and manage effective and timely reporting and analysis of employee metrics, people and talent investment/ return and other relevant success criteria
• Identify and effectively manage commercial relationships with recruitment agencies to support colleagues in attracting sufficient volume and quality of talent whilst delivering value and cost efficiency
• Deliver agreed business transformation projects and initiatives to support continued growth and success for Arden University.
Development of talent and engagement strategies
• Leads the continued development of Arden University as an employer brand of choice delivering a best in class employee experience across all locations (including a growing international footprint).
• Lead the delivery and management of an outstanding candidate, employee and leaver process, which delivers increasingly high success and satisfaction rates at each stage of the employee journey and delivers increasing volumes of high quality, committed and capable employees.
• Drive talent attraction, engagement and management across the organisation to support cohesion and alignment to Arden’s values, whilst developing and maintaining our approaches to equality, diversity and inclusion
• Lead the development of capability assessment, talent pooling, learning and development strategies to ensure Arden staff are fully supported to achieve the required behavioural and skill-based capabilities to deliver the organisation’s strategic plans.
• Develop, manage and continually enhance recruitment, induction, onboarding, engagement and performance management approaches to ensure high retention, alignment to organisational values and motivated and productive staff.
• Develop strategic approach to compensation and benefits to support appropriate reward and recognition strategies are in place
• Lead organisational engagement and communication approaches including internal communication channels, team building and cohesion events, management and staff training and internal consultancy and relationship building across the organisation.
• Credible and determined – able to confidently present their case with authority and maturity amongst senior, academic and specialist stakeholders both inside and outside the University.
• High degree of integrity; quality focused and a with a strong moral compass
• Self-motivator with strong initiative and ambition to succeed and a natural orientation toward teamwork and consultation
• Demonstrable expertise and passion for delivering excellence in HR, talent attraction and management, employee engagement and organisational culture-improvement
• Proactively establishes and develops productive relationships and clearly communicates ideas and information at all levels both internally and externally.
• Ability to collaborate effectively with others to achieve agreed objectives.
• Generates genuine enthusiasm and commitment to key business priorities and acts as a compelling role model.
• Demonstrates genuine desire to develop self and others.
• Drives and encourages the practice of continuous improvement and organisational change; positively embraces change and draws out new ideas, opportunities and solutions.
• Strategic thinker who focuses on the long-term vision of the business, aware of the impact of external factors and the need to look beyond the day-to-day.
• Plans, organises and prioritises effectively to deliver business objectives. Meets deadlines, monitors activities and manages resources well.
• Takes personal responsibility for problems and their solutions; uses sound judgement in arriving at prompt decisions and shows the determination and influence in driving required outcomes.
• Evidences sound reasoning, mental agility and fast learning.
• Able to demonstrate significant experience in a relevant professional capacity with well evidenced management/leadership experience in a relevant HR role including international/multi-country experience (E)
• Experience of the Higher Education sector and/or the recruitment, management and support of academic employees and contractors (D)
• Educated to at least degree level, with CIPD approved or relevant HR specialist qualification (E)
• Experience of managing a medium-sized generalist HR team within a fast-paced/high growth environment (E)
• A comprehensive understanding of mapping, managing and improving HR processes for the benefit of employees and the business (E)
• Strong presenter and coach, with ability to develop and deliver training and presentations in addition to honed coaching capability (E)
• Experience of introducing diversity, equality and inclusion strategies (E)
• High personal impact, credibility and ability to gain respect and influence with senior leadership teams whilst maintaining approachable and supportive style with wider colleague mix. (E)
• Strong and evidenced expertise in employment law, employee relations, contracts, casework and general operational HR processes including international (E)
• Experience of developing and managing talent attraction and retention programmes including benefits and compensation design (E)
• Ability to analyse and report on key performance indicators across complex and disparate data sets to inform business decisions (D)
• Experience of working within HRM systems (E)
• Experience of successfully achieving ‘Investor in People’ accreditation (D)
• Experience of transforming operational HR function to more strategic people and organisational development capability (D)
• Experience of contractor management and engagement including IR35 considerations (D)
• Experience of developing and managing employee communications including intranet, Yammer and other internal communications channels (D)
• Ability to develop business cases and identify commercial benefits of people investments (D)
24th July 2019
How to apply
If you are interested in this role, please apply using our short application form.
For more information on our programmes of study or on Arden University, please visit www.arden.ac.uk.
Please note that because of the high volume of applications that Arden University receives, we regret that we are unable to contact applicants who have been unsuccessful.