Heads of School report to the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Academic) and are members of Arden’s senior academic team. The Head of School is responsible for the academic quality and student outcomes of their courses. They line manage staff within the School and is responsible for the day to day running of the School.
Based in Coventry, but with the capability and willingness to travel across all our sites, the Head of School will provide strong and visionary academic leadership and strategic management in the School enabling it to contribute fully to the University’s vision and mission.
• Provide strong and visionary academic leadership and strategic management in the School enabling it to contribute fully to the University’s vision and mission.
• Develop the academic plan for the School in accordance with the University’s Strategy and corporate objectives, and to take responsibility for its delivery through effective and efficient operational planning.
• Develop effective relationships with PSRBs and partners relevant to the business of the School
• To manage the School effectively, ensuring that the process of decision making is clear and that the operational processes conform to University policies and procedures
• Take responsibility for the performance management of the School as a whole, including regular monitoring of the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and other performance metrics for the School
• Foster a professional working environment that enables staff to meet and exceed their potential and ensure that workloads are managed fairly and equitably
• Oversee the recruitment, development, management and appraisal of academic staff to meet the School’s strategic direction and future development;
• Identify opportunities for the growth and development of the School portfolio ensuring that courses meet expectations of students, employers and the professions concerning content and quality, and are well regarded in the academic community;
• Monitor student recruitment, admissions, retention, progression, achievement and satisfaction for the School
• Develop and implement and effective School and cross-school communications strategies;
• Develop the research and scholarship output, impact and profile of the School, and to exploit the opportunities for working with business and industry, public and private sector bodies and the community in the UK.
• Ensure the continued growth of the School through developing and supporting appropriate strategies for international activities, research, consultancy and enrolments;
• Provide strong representation for the School both internally and externally, developing and managing strategic partnerships, and collaborating with other educational institutions, external communities, professional associations and stakeholders;
• Support the executive leadership and management of Arden University, for example through chairing and participating in relevant Boards, committees and other similar events.
• A strong academic with a background in a field relevant to the School;
• Experience of curriculum development and delivery in online and/or blended learning environments;
• An understanding and appreciation of the academic disciplines and professional practice in the School;
• Experience and understanding of current trends and policy in higher education and the wider regulatory environment;
• Proven management and administrative ability and experience at a senior level in a comparable organisation, including the management of change, innovation, human resources, business plans and quality assurance processes.
• Self-motivator with strong initiative, positive outlook and ambition to succeed;
• Must be able to establish and develop productive relationships and clearly communicate ideas and information to all levels of people both internal and external to the organisation;
• The ability to provide strong academic leadership and vision in a range of cognate academic disciplines;
• Ability to collaborate effectively with others to achieve agreed objectives;
• Demonstrates genuine desire to develop self and others;
• Drives and encourages the practice of continuous improvement;
• Generates genuine enthusiasm and commitment to key business priorities and acts as a compelling role model;
• Plans, organises and prioritises effectively to deliver business objectives;
• Takes personal responsibility for problems and their solutions; uses sound judgement in arriving at prompt decisions and shows the determination and influence in driving required outcomes
As a term of your employment you may be required to undertake such other duties as may be required of you in the post or in another post in any of the company’s other departments. This is a description of the job as it is at present constituted. It is the practice of the Company periodically to examine employees’ job descriptions and to update them to ensure they relate to the job as being performed or, to incorporate whatever changes are being proposed. This procedure is jointly conducted by each Manager in consultation with those working directly to them. You will, therefore, be expected to participate fully in such discussions. It is the company’s aim to reach agreement to reasonable changes, but if agreement is not possible managements reserves the right to insist on change to your job description consistent with your classification within the company after consultation with you
Skills, experience and related competencies:
• Educated to at least Masters’ degree level and possesses (or is working towards) a PhD relevant to the subject discipline.
• Equality and diversity: strong empathy for the University’s commitment to equality of opportunity and equity of treatment for colleagues and student.
• Experience of successfully managing relationships with PSRBs.
• Experience of preparation and successful execution of validation events.
• Experience of effective performance management.
• Experience of successfully leading teams.
• Able to represent the University externally.
• Analytical and creative thinking: strong analytical skills including scenario planning, problem-solving and decision-making.
• Planning and organisation: high competence in workload planning, prioritising and monitoring.
• Communication: excellent communication skills, and a diplomatic, flexible and politically astute approach to internal and external communications, networking, negotiations and conflict resolution.
• Interpersonal skills: sophisticated interpersonal, influencing and team-building skills with the ability to build consensus as required.
• Collaboration: a collegiate and approachable style in working with senior colleagues, students and external agencies within agreed frameworks.
• Holistic approach: evidence of commitment to a holistic approach to enhancing the student experience.
• Ability to analyse and use business data to drive strategic and operational objectives.
• Student partnership: strong empathy for the University’s commitment to working in partnership with the student body to enhance the education provided.
11th October 2019
How to apply
If you are interested in this role, please apply using our short application form.
For more information on our programmes of study or on Arden University, please visit www.arden.ac.uk.
Please note that because of the high volume of applications that Arden University receives, we regret that we are unable to contact applicants who have been unsuccessful.